Monday, August 8, 2011

Mmm...Sangria and the Art of Refurbishing Wood Decor

Not the drink (although, I wish), but the color!

Yesterday, I finally decided to refurbish the canoe tray I got last weekend for $2.49 at Goodwill.

Remember me?

Around 9 a.m. I started sanding down the tray to remove the old finish. I used a P120 grit sand paper. Compared to the massive coffee table from a couple of weeks ago, this was much easier.

Next, I painted the tray with two coats of Rust-Oleum's Painter's Touch grey primer, since I was going from a light to a dark color again.

When painting small items or doing small projects like this one, I like to use the sample size bottles of paint. That way, you do not have to spend a lot of money on a color you may or may not want to use again. 

For this project, I bought a $1.97 sample size of Glidden paint in SANGRIA!

After the primer dried (about two hours), I started with my first coat of Sangria. Since this tray was an odd shape, I had to paint it in sections. I started with the top section and then worked my way around, allowing each layer to dry for at least an hour. I repeated these steps four times to achieve the desired color.

Then, I turned each side over and repeated the layers. I let the tray dry over night.

(The color is not this hot pink in real life)

This entire process took approximately eight hours, but each step only took about five minutes each.

In between each step, I was able to clean the kitchen, do a couple loads of laundry, go to the library and lunch with my husband, watch Beverly Hills Cop and score two more roadside finds: a dark brown/black particle board plasma TV stand and a large wood framed mirror.

After the tray dried, I pulled out a bag of earth-toned pebbles I bought at the dollar store a few months back and scattered them on the tray. Then, I took three votive candles we had lying around and placed them in between the pebbles.


Total cost of this refurbish: $4.45! (not counting the pebbles and candles I already had)

No comments:

Post a Comment